Alternatives to Submit a Guardianship in Texas

If you are the caregiver for an individual who is a minor, or who has an illness or other condition that causes them to be not able to handle their own affairs, then you may have thought about filing a guardianship in a court. You should understand that there might be alternatives.

Managing the affairs of somebody else can be tough, especially when a 3rd party asks you to prove your legal authority to do so.
Being appointed as a guardian by a judge results in a court order giving you legal authority to act. That’s the bright side. The more challenging news is that this authority includes extra requirements and the financial costs of legal costs and court expenses. You will need to make periodic, official accountings and reports, and will undergo court approval for continued guardianship. You will also need to look for court approval for certain actions.

Although that’s not always a bad thing, the fact is that some cases may be well served by utilizing an alternative to guardianship. A Judge may even deny a guardianship and need you to check out less-restrictive options to achieving your objectives.
Here are some common scenarios, and some alternatives that may be thought about:

1. For a person who is ill (momentarily, irreversibly or terminally), or a senior who requires aid.
2. Individuals with specific intellectual or developmental conditions or challenges.

3. General Info for some specialized or short-term situations;
Each scenario is various.

Some elements to think about when picking the very best route are the following:
If the person who you are worried about has a progressive condition (such as Dementia, for instance), and presently has the capability to understand and take part in these choices and to sign legal files, don’t wait till things are too far along. Get guidance now.